How FEA works, briefly put.
No time to waddle through dozens of pages full of mathematics? Here’s how FEA works – the sticky note version!
- The governing equation is defined. In magnetostatics, the Ampere’s law is combined with the vector potential to get
- We define an approximative solution
In other words, known (shape) functions multiplied by some unknown coefficients .
- The problem geometry is meshed, and the shape functions are defined based on the mesh.
- To solve the coefficients, we try to get “as good as possible” solution according to the following criterion:
for all .
- This gives us a system of equations for our unknowns.
- Lots of awesome figures are drawn (see below).